Morning, Thursday, 7th October 2021
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will be an opportunity to consider priorities for delivering affordable housing in Ireland, and recovering from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the construction sector and housing market.
The discussion follows the announcement from Minister O’Brien earlier this year of plans to boost social housing delivery, and delegates will have an opportunity to discuss progress with these, including the voids programme, intending to target approximately 3,000 vacant properties to be remediated and re-let this year, as well as considerations of how this impacts the construction sector after a 14-week shut down during the pandemic.
Alongside priorities for the construction sector and delivering social housing in Ireland, the conference will also consider wider policy developments, and their impact on the housing sector in Ireland, including:
- the Land Development Agency Bill
- the Affordable Housing Bill
- the Our Rural Future strategy
- the Youth Homelessness Strategy which is currently being developed
We are pleased to be able to include a keynote contribution from John O’Connor, Chief Executive Officer, The Housing Agency and Chair Designate, Commission on Housing.
The agenda will bring out latest thinking on:
- the housing market in the wake of the pandemic, and priorities for providing affordable accommodation
- taking forward lessons learned from the pandemic for tackling homelessness and supporting the construction sector
- priorities for the planning system, a regional approach to land use, and the impact of the Land Development Agency
- skills and employment in the housing sector in Ireland
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders. Places have been reserved by officials from the Department for the Economy, NI. Also due to attend are representatives from Cluid Housing; Connemara West; NI Housing Executive and Winters Property.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of the Oireachtas and senior officials from Government of Ireland, regulators and other agencies, representatives of business and industry, infrastructure and connectivity, housing and construction, planning professionals, representatives from local government and social housing organisations, together with reporters from the national and trade media based in Ireland and elsewhere.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks - you’ll also get a full recording and transcript to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates - we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials, is made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact - we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference